If you watch any home and garden television shows, you know that curb appeal is practically non-negotiable. Whether you plan to sell your home in the near future or it’s merely a possibility someday, a home that looks great inside and out is a home with a higher property value. It might not be as fun and glamorous as an upgraded kitchen or bathroom, but a new garage door can instantly transform the look of your home—and deliver a 98 percent return on your investment. After all, it takes up about a third of your home’s façade—it makes sense that it would have an impact on your curb appeal!
If your garage door is damaged, dented or just woefully out of date, it might be time for an upgrade. Ready to install a new garage door and increase your home value in Rancho Cordova, CA? Here’s what to consider when you’re thinking about replacing your garage door.
Can the damage be repaired?
Sometimes minor damage can be repaired, enabling you to get more life out of your garage door. If your door has minor dents or scratches, repainting (and gently pounding out dents with a mallet) might do the trick.
Larger dents, cracks, warping and rotting are all signs that you should go ahead and replace your garage door. They all compromise the structural integrity of the door and may even put additional strain on the mechanical system.
If you’re thinking about replacing the garage door and system yourself, we urge you to rethink it—garage doors can be extremely dangerous for anyone but licensed and insured professionals to install or repair.
What kind of material and style should you choose?
Garage doors come in a variety of styles and materials these days, as well as features like windows. Depending on the look you’re going for, you might find that certain materials and features work better than others:
- Wood: Wooden garage doors were quite popular years ago, but require a bit more maintenance than metal and synthetic materials. However, they can be painted to perfectly blend with your home.
- Steel: Steel garage doors are as durable as they come. They’re also low maintenance, although you’ll need to look out for corrosion.
- Aluminum: Aluminum is prone to scratches and dents, but it’s also a low-maintenance, durable and lightweight material that is great if you’re trying to achieve a modern look.
Next, think about the style you want—here are three of the most popular:
- Traditional: Wooden garage doors are often the best way to achieve a traditional, classic look. These doors can come with long, short or subtly raised panels.
- Modern: Modern design ventures away from paneled doors to create a sleek contemporary look.
- Carriage house: Carriage house doors used to be exclusively made from wood, but now are available in a number of different materials. They can add a classic look to your home.
When you’re ready to increase your curb appeal with a new garage door in Rancho Cordova, CA, get in touch with Action Door Service to schedule a consultation.