Taking care of your cars and any belongings that you keep in the garage is an important part of homeownership. Garage doors keep out the weather and keep your goods secured, so taking care of them should be a top priority, and the team at Action Door Service can help you with this.
As with any part of your home, you can rest assured that your garage doors will last a lot longer and stay reliable if you commit to preventative maintenance. Maintaining garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA doesn’t have to be a time-consuming job, and with this in mind, we’re happy to provide some quick tips to get you started:
- Check the hardware: You want to make sure that all of your hardware is in good working order when thinking about garage door maintenance tips in Rancho Cordova, CA. Keep everything oiled and well lubricated to keep metallic pieces running smoothly, and use your ears to listen for any irregular noises from the hardware when you’re raising or lowering the door.
- Keep an eye on the weather: The weather-stripping around your garage doors is one of the easiest places for moisture or pests to get inside and wreak havoc. Always keep a close eye on it and make sure that it’s in good shape, because staying on top of this type of sealing is one of the easiest ways of maintaining your garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA.
- Examine your cables: Cables are the pieces that are responsible for lifting and lowering your door, and must be kept in top condition at all times. Take the time every few months to check them over for damage, and if you notice any signs of wear, be sure to immediately call your neighborhood professionals for assistance in getting them fixed. High-tension cables are very dangerous to work with, so do not, under any circumstances, try and handle this job yourself.
- Keep everything clean: Many issues with maintaining garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA come down to keeping all of the parts clean. Rust can accumulate, so make sure you’re taking the time to sand, prime and paint any areas where it’s possible to do so. Also, make sure that the tracks for the door are cleaned regularly, but use an actual specialty cleaner designed for this job. Lubrication is not necessary here, and all-purpose cleaner will not get the job done right.
- Don’t forget the remote: Keeping your garage door running smoothly can be as simple as keeping the batteries in the remote fresh. We’ve made service calls where doors weren’t working, only to discover that dead remote batteries were the only problem!
Maintaining a garage door is mostly a question of doing the legwork on preventative maintenance. If you can accomplish this, you’ll have won half the battle of keeping your garage doors in good working order. Even though a lot of this work is DIY, it can reveal larger problems that you’ll want to call in the pros to handle—don’t hesitate to do this when the time comes, and you can save yourself some real time and money. Get in touch with Action Door Service for more garage door maintenance tips in Rancho Cordova, CA!