Residential garage doors don’t generally get a lot of attention other than annual maintenance and cleanings. For many families, the garage is simply an area to park their cars and store some of their belongings. But it’s better to think of the garage as an extension of your house—get an insulated garage door and reap the benefits! Let’s take a look at the reasons why you might want to insulate residential garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA:
- Saves energy: There are plenty of energy-saving tips for the inside of your house, such as installing energy-efficient windows and upgrading an old heating system. But don’t discount the ways that an insulated garage door can save energy. After all, many attached garages have a door that connects directly to the house. Some have living spaces directly above them. If you live in a very hot or cold climate, consider insulating your garage door to avoid air leakage.
- Increases durability: Most high-quality garage doors are sturdy and built to last a long time. To make your door even stronger, look into insulated garage doors. Today’s insulated doors are made with an aluminum or steel frame filled with solid-core insulation, which is installed between single or dual steel panels. Believe it or not, this style of door is more lightweight and energy-efficient than uninsulated doors. This added durability saves the door from abuse by vehicles, people, pets and the elements.
- Quieter: The thicker the garage door, the quieter it will be, be it due to the materials used as paneling or the insulation material. And garage doors make a lot of noise—older doors especially, since they tend to have loose chains that can drag on tracks. Worn-down rollers and poorly-lubricated springs and hinges can jerk around and squeak wildly when opening or closing. Noise dampening is more of an added benefit, but worth considering if you’re investing money in a brand-new garage door anyway.
- Warmer: You might be wondering why warmth matters in a garage. The HVAC doesn’t run to that area, anyway. However, some people do use their garages for activities other than parking vehicles and storing belongings—think pop-up workshops, band practice, playing games and more. Also, attached garages have a door leading to the inside of the main house. Every time this door opens, there’s an air swap between the spaces. Stay warm with an insulated garage door and good weather-stripping.
- Protects vehicles and belongings: Just because your cars and possessions are tucked away behind the garage door doesn’t mean it’s all fully protected. Vehicles and belongings stored in a garage with an insulated garage door are less likely to be exposed to freezing or overly hot conditions. For example, cold weather can kill car batteries, thicken fluids, lower tire pressure and harm spark plugs and wiring. Extreme cold or heat can also mess with the quality of stored paint, fertilizers, bottled motor oil and cleaning supplies.
To learn more about insulated residential garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA, don’t hesitate to contact the knowledgeable team at Action Door Service today!