Replacing overhead doors in Rancho Cordova, CA is a good opportunity for a fresh start for your garage. An organized, less-cluttered garage also makes it easier for our crew to finish the job quickly and well. However, organizing garages is often overwhelming, and many people do not know where to start. Here is a how-to guide on tackling this often-monumental task:
- Take your time: Starting garage door organization at 4:00 p.m. on a Sunday is a bad idea if you are supposed to be at work at 8:00 a.m. Monday morning. That is a formula for failure and stress. Instead, set aside back-to-back days, even an entire weekend. Choose a weekend with dry weather, too, since many items may have to sit in your driveway during the process.
- Ask for help: Do not do this alone, especially if you are moving heavy items or installing shelves. Consider hiring an organization expert or bribe friends with food and drinks so you have others around to help. Be ready to present a plan, even if it is to merely hold ladders or drive stuff to the local thrift store for donation. Trying this on your own nearly guarantees you will quit halfway through due to exhaustion and being overwhelmed.
- Organize stuff by category: The easiest way to tackle garage clutter is by category. Create categories like camping gear, garden equipment, ski season, etc. Find a spot for each category and group the stuff together. Once it is all grouped, then put stuff in containers or go and buy them. You do not want to buy containers until you know what you are keeping versus what is going in the trash or being donated. Otherwise, you risk buying too many or buying the wrong kind.
- Do not hesitate to trash things: While this may result in a larger garbage bill, it will pay off in peace of mind. If there is no reason to keep your house paint from 15 years ago, find a place that recycles it. The same is true with stuff you do not use or things that broke a long time ago. Garages are often “out of sight, out of mind” places, and that is why they accumulate trash. When you organize your garage, plan to also make it a purge.
- Find the best layout: You are more likely to keep your garage organized if you have a good layout. Placing a workbench on one side of the garage and your tool storage on the other guarantees lost tools and clutter forever. Put shelves, cabinets and workbenches in logical places. Tools and tool boxes should be together and near where you use them most often. Camping gear should be in one place and even its own cabinet, likely in a place where it is easy to load and unload. This is where a professional organizer can help you if you are not naturally inclined to see the best layout.
Action Door Service is a local expert in overhead doors in Rancho Cordova, CA. Contact us today to arrange for new garage doors or the repair of your current ones.