Planning weekend getaways or weeks-long vacations would be nice, but it’s just not realistic for everyone. You’ve got a job, a family, school and other responsibilities that don’t always allow you to wander far from home, which is why every busy adult needs some personal space. We’re talking about the kind of space that has walls and a door, like a home office, game room or workshop. This might be a spare bedroom you can take over as your own, or you could transform an already existing space, like the garage, into a man cave.
Companies like ours that specialize in residential garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA get questions about this topic all the time. Should the new room match the rest of the house? What’s the best way to insulate the garage door? If you want to turn your garage into a man cave, then the following information is for you. Here are some important things to consider for your man cave project:
- Flooring: Attached and detached garages are made to shelter vehicles from the elements and store household items. Right off the bat, the garage walls and floors are not going to be comfortable as they are for use as a living space. You’ll need to install a new subfloor over the concrete slab surface to block the cold from getting through in the winter and the heat during summer. The most popular flooring options are vinyl planks or carpet with padding underneath.
- Walls, acoustics and insulation: These three things should be considered together, because the acoustics and insulation of your man cave depend on what you do to upgrade the walls. With this in mind, it’s not a bad plan to invest a little more money in quality drywall or paneling. Residential garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA need to be insulated, then sealed to match the rest of the man cave walls. Check the ceiling installation, too—proper paneling and insulation will help keep the elements at bay all year long.
- Choose a style: Your new man cave space should reflect your personal style, and how you want the atmosphere to feel when you’re inside it relaxing. For instance, some people want a pool table, a bar, a home theater, a music recording studio or simply a recliner, TV, mini fridge and peace and quiet.
- Lighting: The lighting in any man cave is important, especially if the garage space does not have any windows to let in natural light. When converting the garage into a man cave, make sure to replace those unpleasant overhead fluorescent garage lights with more pleasant lighting, and perhaps even install some windows or skylights.
- Decorate and accessorize: A man cave shouldn’t be dark, dank and dirty. Make it a stylish, comfortable and safe space by adding furniture, framed photographs, comfy seating, bookshelves, a refrigerator, sink and more.
Homes with traditional garages and man caves alike need a solid and sturdy garage door. Come to Action Door Service for a selection of quality residential garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA!