A high-quality garage door should last you for decades, so it’s important that you put some thought into your purchase decision when in the market for a new one. If you’ve never bought a garage door before, you might be surprised at just how many varieties are available on the market. Each of the options available to you is going to be a little bit different—you’ll want to consult with a salesperson to learn more about opening sizes, shapes, side clearance, headroom, design and other factors. Ideally, you should have a salesperson come out to your house, take a look at your garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA and go through some options with you.
As you discuss these options, here are some of the factors you’re going to want to consider:
- Opt out of wood: Real wood doors do look outstanding when they’re first installed, but they require a whole lot of maintenance, which in turn takes a whole lot of time and money. Natural finishes need to be recoated every several years, and may require sanding down to bare wood in some cases if you wait too long. If you’re looking for a real-wood appearance, there are other materials you can purchase that have wood composite overlays or faux wood-grain finishes.
- Improve insulation: If you have a garage that’s attached to your house, or if you have any particular reason you want to keep your garage warm, you should put some thought into improving your insulation at the same time you upgrade your door. If you have the need, it can be worth it to spend about 20 percent extra to upgrade your insulation.
- High-quality springs are worth it: Your springs do a lot of work in bringing the garage door up and down, so it’s worth getting springs that are capable of handling at least 20,000 cycles. The average springs are rated for just 10,000 cycles, which will only last about five years on average, so spending a bit more for the extra durability is a wise investment.
- Get professional help: You should not try to install your own door unless you’ve been trained in how to do it. Winding the spring requires special tools, and it can be extremely dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing. Hiring a professional ensures the job gets done quickly, correctly and safely.
- Put some thought into your windows: Some people want to choose garage doors that have windows on them. If this is the case for you, make sure you choose those windows as carefully as you choose the type of door you’ll be using. If you have a heated garage, you’ll want insulated glass. If privacy and security are a concern, make sure the glass is installed in the top panel rather than the lower panels. Try to match the glass to your house windows, if you can.
These are just a few factors to take into consideration when purchasing new garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA. Contact Action Door Service today for more tips!