Colder weather is fast approaching, and as temperatures drop, homeowners across the country will start using their heating systems more. Make sure your garage door isn’t contributing to high energy bills and heat loss. If you’re looking for the best garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA for cold weather, take a closer look at insulated options. Below are some of the benefits.
Your home insulation can help keep the heat inside your home, but how do you prevent the cold from creeping in through the garage? Install an insulated garage door! Like home insulation, garage door insulation is a worthwhile investment. Both are efficient ways to maintain a constant warm indoor living environment—especially if your garage is attached to your house. In fact, you could be losing as much as 25 percent of your home’s heat through a garage without insulation. And don’t forget to insulate detached garages, too, or you run the risk of the cold weather damaging your stored possessions:
- Saves energy: The garage door is a barrier between your house and the cold winter weather. When you replace an old, uninsulated door with and insulated one, heat loss can be reduced by 70 percent or more. You can retain even more heat by insulating the walls of your garage, too. Insulated doors seal air gaps, which blocks cold air from entering your garage and keeps the warm air inside.
- Cuts your energy bill: Because garage door insulation keeps the cold air outside, you end up setting the thermostat to a lower temperature and using your furnace less. Therefore, having adequate insulation in your home and garage can potentially lower your energy bills pretty drastically.
- Protects your belongings: The bitter cold weather can do a number on the things you store in your garage. If you park vehicles in the garage, proper insulation can extend the life of your car battery and keep it from dying. Freezing garage temperatures can also negatively impact appliances and tools that use water or fuel gels, like washing machines, power washers and lawn mowers. If water inside freezes, these items can crack and fail.
- Strong: Most insulated garage doors are made from high-quality steel. Aside from the incredible durability of steel garage doors, they also boost property value and curb appeal. Only consider brands that offer benefits like a sandwich construction of steel-polyurethane-steel, and a high R-value to keep the warm air in your garage. Insulation also adds strength to prevent serious dents or damage to the door.
- Dampens noise: Even the most advanced garage door openers and motors can be a bit noisy. Couple the sounds of the opener with rattling springs, squeaky rails and car engines and the whole garage—and any adjacent areas in your home—will be vibrating in no time. Luckily, insulated garage doors can dampen vibrations as well as reduce street noise.
Here at Action Door Service, we specialize in the sale and installation of a variety of garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA. Call us today for more information!