A garage door is a significant investment. Since most homeowners only purchase one or two of these in their lifetime, it can be a big decision. As you consider your options, you must choose a style, color, materials, safety features and more. One of the major features you must consider is garage windows. Do you want to include windows in your garage door replacement in Rancho Cordova, CA?
As with most home improvement options, this feature offers several pros and cons. Keep these in mind as you make your garage door selection.
Garage Door Window Advantages
- Let the sunshine in: Adding windows to your garage door obviously allows more light into your garage. This can be an advantage, especially if you plan to use your garage for something other than vehicle storage. Many homeowners set up a workshop in this space, or use it as a garden shed, or even a “man cave.” A few windows in the garage door shed some natural light on whatever activities you have planned for your garage.
- Exterior appeal: A garage door with windows can enhance your home’s curb appeal. An attractive design that includes windows can offer a more enticing exterior than a plain-paneled door. You can also incorporate designs from the rest of the home’s construction in the door’s window features. If you want to make your home stand out on the block, this is a simple way to do so.
Garage Door Window Disadvantages
- Lost insulation: Glass is less insulated than the rest of the garage door’s construction materials. Windows can let unwanted heat into your garage, making the space warmer than desired. It can also allow heat to escape, creating a cooler area than you prefer to use for a workshop or game watching. This lack of insulation can cause discomfort as well as increased utility bills.
- Fix: To prevent the inefficiency that can be created by garage door windows, simply choose well-insulated glass. These thick panes are pricier than standard windows, but they can make up for their cost in utility savings over time.
- Lost privacy: Since garage windows are typically at the top of the door, this privacy loss is minimal. Still, nosy neighbors or potential burglars might be able to walk up and peer into your garage. You must weigh compromised privacy with your desire for window features.
- Fix: As mentioned, you should only install garage door windows at the top of the door panel. Additionally, you can choose frosted glass. These options allow you to include attractive window features in your door while maintaining your sense of privacy.
Consult with the Pros
If you are unsure which style to choose for your garage door replacement in Rancho Cordova, CA, contact the experts at Action Door Service. We offer a complete line of quality garage doors to suit every style and taste. You can even design your own! When you’re ready to boost your home’s appeal with a new garage door, get in touch with our expert team!