Just like any other piece of hard-working machinery, garage doors—even the best ones—will eventually need to be replaced. If your door has been in service for 20 years or more, it’s probably time to retire it and have a new one installed. Action Door Service offers professional garage door installation in Rancho Cordova, CA, and we’ve put together a summary of the most important steps involved in installing a new garage door so you can feel confident that you understand the process thoroughly before the new installation takes place:
- Take the tension off: Your garage door has a torsion spring that keeps tension on the door to help it operate. This tension needs to be released, which is usually accomplished with the aid of a steel rod, which will ultimately loosen the spring a little at a time until it is slack.
- Out with the old, in with the new: The first step to removing the old door and opener is to disconnect your current garage door opener. After that, you can take off the panels, being sure to also remove the hinges and track. If you know you’ll be replacing your current automatic door opener with a new one, keep the track and opener from the old door.
- Install your new panels: This step is a little more detailed, which is yet another reason why it’s often helpful to have a professional take care of your garage door installation in Rancho Cordova, CA. Start by drilling your pilot holes and attaching the hinges at the top of each of your new panels. Next, get to work on attaching the axle supports, which will be located at the bottom and top of your bottom and top panels. Now, start to attach the panels, making sure you’re lining up the grooves and that the panels are resting in place correctly.
- Install your new track and spring system: Next, attach the door cable, and then the bottom bracket, which will attach to the wall. Once again, refer to your manual here as you attach the track to the assembly and then to the wall. You can install the new door in the same ceiling support place as the old door. Now, bolt your new tracks together—don’t tighten the bolts too much early on, as you will tighten them fully after—install the springs and then install the pulleys and torsion rod.
- Get your new cable attached, and tighten up the springs: Grab your cable and pull it up to the top, where it attaches to the pulley wheel on either side. The wheel should be pushed right up to the header bracket, and you can then tighten it fully. Finally, tighten your springs, and then make sure the whole assembly is completely secure.
DIY projects can be economical and rewarding, but garage doors are a serious matter frequently best left to the professionals. If you need expert garage door installation in Rancho Cordova, CA, look no further than Action Door Service. We’re here to answer your questions and get your new garage door installed right away.