You probably keep a lot of valuable, expensive items in your garage, like lawn care equipment, bicycles, tools and other materials—not to mention your car—that can easily be stolen and sold. And, if your garage is attached to your home, intruders have an easy access point to the rest of your valuables if they manage to break in through your garage!
Many people don’t realize that their garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA need to be adequately secured to prevent break-ins and theft. Whether or not your garage gives access to the rest of your house, the last thing you want is someone breaking in and stealing your property. Luckily for you, we at Action Door Service are experts in garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA and have a few handy tips to keep your garage safe and secure from intruders:
- Close the door: This one may seem really obvious, but so many people leave their garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA open and susceptible to intruders. Plus, an open garage door is not cause for suspicion for your neighbors, so it’s likely that nobody would be able to alert you about an intrusion. Make sure to keep your garage door closed when you aren’t using it.
- Take openers out of your car: Don’t leave your automatic garage door remote in your car; intruders can easily get it if they break into your car, and then they have even more access to your things! Get a smaller remote that you can keep on your keychain and with you inside.
- Update your remote: Make sure you have a newer model of your garage door opener that uses a rolling code system to unlock the door. This way, code grabber devices have a much smaller chance of working to open your door, and you’re better protected.
- Cover the windows: If you’re choosing a new garage door, install a door without windows. Or, frost or cover the existing windows in your garage. Intruders won’t be able to see if you have anything they’re interested in or see when your car is gone, which is their optimal time to break in.
- Install an alarm and motion lights: Installing an alarm system and motion lights that can alert you to an intruder before or as they are breaking in can help you feel more secure. And if they can tell that your garage is protected, they’ll be less likely to break in.
- Maintain the door: Be sure to keep your garage door well maintained, including checking for signs of corrosion or damage. If your garage door is damaged already, have it repaired or replaced as soon as possible, because weaker doors are easier to compromise.
Action Door Service has been the leading expert in garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA for 30 years. We sell, install and repair a wide variety of garage doors for both commercial and residential customers. If you have a uniquely shaped garage, we also offer custom-designed doors. Call us today for information about your free in-home consultation and let us help you identify the perfect garage door to meet your needs and budget!