The springs within your mechanical garage door are an essential part of its operation. These metallic coils help the operating apparatus lift and lower the door on your command. After repeated use, however, even the strongest springs will eventually lose their elasticity, requiring you to obtain garage door services in Rancho Cordova, CA.
Hiring a professional to perform garage door services in Rancho Cordova, CA is always the best way to approach any maintenance task. If you would like to replace your own garage door springs, however, here’s a series of simple steps that you will need to follow:
- Identify the problem: To successfully replace a garage door spring, you should first be absolutely certain that the spring is to blame for any problems that you are experiencing. If your door seems heavier than normal, the springs are most likely to blame.
- Stay safe: Replacing garage door springs is an extremely dangerous task, since you are dealing with pieces of metal under tremendous amounts of pressure and tension. Garage door services in Rancho Cordova, CA are best left to professionals. If you are replacing your own springs, wear heavily padded clothing to protect your skin, and don protective eye gear.
- Gather tools: In addition to the new springs, you will need several vice grips, an adjustable wrench and two winding bars. Make sure that your garage is well lit, and perform the job on a day when it is sunny outside.
- Unwind old springs: After measuring the old springs and marking the new ones to see the appropriate amount of tension, begin unwinding the old springs holding up your garage door. This should only be done while the door is down, covering your garage’s entrance. Insert the winding bar into the cone of the spring before touching the set screw!
- Loosen hardware: Once the spring has been unwound, you will need to loosen the torsion hardware to remove the old spring. Pay careful attention to how the old spring is lodged in the torsion device, and be sure to replicate this while installing the new one. Improperly installing the torsion hardware can result in a garage door that falls down.
- Replace springs: Place the new springs in the torsion hardware, and reinstall it to its mount. You made need to file the end of the shaft to make it rough enough for other components to adhere to. You will need to extensively inspect the bearing, and keep it properly lubricated.
- Wind new springs: Once the new spring is in place, you will need to wind it to the appropriate amount of tension. You will need to use both your winding bars in a fluid and cohesive motion to properly wind the spring. Be careful when performing this step, as an improperly wound spring could injure you or make your garage door fall.
When it comes to replacing garage door springs, it’s ultimately best to reach out to a qualified professional to ensure the job is completed safely and effectively. Action Door Service is the premier provider of garage door services in Rancho Cordova, CA. We have been providing the Sacramento metropolitan region with high-quality garage door solutions for 30 years. To learn more about the services that we offer, contact one of our helpful and professional representatives today!