There’s no question that wood is one of the best materials for garage doors. It’s classically beautiful and timeless in appearance. It’s incredibly versatile with so many different types of woods and shades available. Not to mention that it can increase the overall value of your home. But a wooden garage door requires significantly more maintenance than most other materials. Over time, the wood can break down and become susceptible to rot if it is not properly cared for. You can easily keep your wooden garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA looking great by following these simple annual maintenance steps:
- Check for rot: Rot is the ultimate downfall of a wooden garage door. Bacteria and fungus are able to grow in any damp areas. As they spread, the rot will ruin the door. During your annual check, examine the bottom of the door and trim work with a screwdriver. Any area where the screwdriver pushes through the surface has already been hit by rot. Repairing rot can be very tricky, so it’s best to leave this job to a professional.
- Identify any problem areas: After checking for rot, shift your focus to finding any cracks or holes in your wooden garage door. The holes may have occurred due to impact or moisture. Any issues need to be repaired as quickly as possible to prevent them from threatening the entire structure of your garage door. Too many issues will leave you with no choice but to replace the entire door.
- Check and replace hardware: Open and close the garage door a few times to listen for any harsh sounds. Any screeching, squealing and scraping sounds could indicate that something is amiss. Try tightening all of the screws and connection points before checking the rollers for wear and tear. Replace any broken or damaged components as needed. After that, lubricate the springs, hinges and track with grease for a quieter operation.
- Stain and varnish: Wood stain and varnish are the keys to keeping your garage door looking sharp. The stain maintains the woods color and appearance, while the varnish works as a finish to protect it from the elements. New stain and varnish should be applied once or twice a year.
- Examine the seals: Can you spot any light between the seals and the bottom of the door when the garage is closed? If so, it’s time to replace your old seals. Over time, the seals can wear out from constant use. Compromised seals make it easier for pests and the outside elements to sneak into your garage. Have a garage door specialist install a new weatherproof seal to protect your home.
Don’t have time to complete this list on your own? Contact the garage door experts at Action Door Service! Our professional team is the best in the business when it comes to repairing and maintaining wooden garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA. Call us today to learn more about how you can keep your wooden garage door looking great.