Your garage door offers a variety of benefits. From protecting your car to storing unused items, the garage keeps your items safe from the wind and rain. But this same tool has the potential to be very dangerous. Most garage doors are very heavy, so any simple mistake or lack of care could result in some serious injuries or even death.
Luckily, it’s easy to avoid these problems by taking a few simple steps to ensure you and your loved ones stay safe around garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA. Here are five tips from the professionals at Action Door Service to help you avoid any safety issues:
- Regularly have all moving parts inspected: Having a professional inspect any moving parts on your garage door is one of the easiest ways to avoid accidents and mishaps. A professional garage door repair specialist will examine springs, pulleys, rollers and cables to make sure that every component is still functioning well. A repair technician will easily be able to identify any problems and quickly make the necessary repairs.
- Always keep the remote garage door opener secure: Anyone who has access to the remote garage door opener can easily gain access into your home—and to your family. But thieves shouldn’t be your only concern. The opener in the hands of a child could result in a serious or even fatal accident if the button were to be pressed at an inopportune time.
- Remember to keep the garage door fully opened or closed: A partially open garage door is an accident just waiting to happen. The garage door could suddenly close if one part were to malfunction. If that happens, anyone in the path of the garage door would be in danger of serious physical injury.
- Avoid walking or standing under a moving garage door: The sensors on your garage door work to ensure that the door will not close if something were to break the connection between the two sensors. Unfortunately, even the best safety measures can fail, and some older models of garage doors might not even have this important feature. It’s best to avoid attempting to exit the garage door while it is closing, as it is possible that this precautionary tool could fail, resulting in a serious injury.
- Know what to do in an emergency: Knowing the proper steps to stop your garage door will help prevent a small mistake from turning into a major accident. Locate the emergency release feature so you’ll be prepared to stop an opening or closing garage door quickly. Both you and your children should familiarize yourselves with this process.
Broken springs or failed safety features on your garage door could result in a major emergency. Avoid injuries by trusting a quality garage door repair specialist from Action Door Service to maintain a safe and highly functioning garage door. If you’re having issues with your garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA, don’t delay—call us today to schedule a maintenance check!