Nobody wants to have to worry whether or not their home is safe and secure. If you follow a few steps to ensure you have secure garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA, you can avoid a lot of anxiety and worry. Garages are often overlooked when it comes to home safety, but they shouldn’t be, especially if you have an attached garage. Here are a few simple steps to make sure your garage doors are secure enough to keep out intruders.
- Use a lock. This is an obvious first step, but homeowners are often lax about locking their garages, even if they keep their front doors and other doors to their home locked at all times. Always remember to lock up your garage before leaving the house or going to sleep, and you won’t have to worry about leaving your home vulnerable. For extra security, install a deadbolt as well.
- Keep your garage door closed at all times. Some people get into the habit of leaving their garage door open when they’re outside doing chores or just driving to the minimart around the corner. This is a bad practice to slip into for two reasons. Most importantly, it leaves your possessions valuable to theft, and a thief only needs a few minutes to swipe a bike, an old TV or an expensive tool. Secondly, leaving your garage door open allows anyone passing by to see what kinds of valuables you may keep in there. Even though thieves probably wouldn’t try to rob you if you were right in the front yard, it does tip them off and put you at future risk. Don’t give anyone a reason to notice your garage.
- Keep the area around your garage well lit. Dark corners allow intruders a place to hide. Be sure to have motion-sensing lights installed around your garage, and keep on them every night so that you and your neighbors can easily see what’s going on. This is a simple and effective way to deter theft from your garage.
- Secure the door connecting your garage and your house. If you have an attached garage, your home is only as secure as the door that separates it from your garage. Using strong, fortified material like reinforced steel or solid-core wood will make it nearly impossible for intruders to get into your home through your garage.
- Don’t leave your keys in your garage. Some people fall into the habit of leaving their keys in their car after parking in their garage. Doing this is a big risk, because once an intruder gets into your garage, you’re giving them easy access to your car as well as your front door. You should always keep your keys safely inside your home, and lock your car no matter what.
Keeping your garage and garage doors secure isn’t difficult to do, as long as you remember these steps and don’t fall back into old habits. If you’re worried about the security of your garage or garage door in Rancho Cordova, CA, give Action Door Service a call. We can show you even more ways to keep your home and family safe.