Garage doors are something that many American homeowners utilize on a daily basis, most of the time doing so unconsciously—with the simple push of a button, the door goes up or down, allowing you to focus on parking your vehicle. It’s important, however, to pay attention to your garage door and its function on a regular basis, as this amenity is the largest functioning component in most homes and can provide many dangers if not properly considered.
June is National Garage Door Opener Safety Month—a month dedicated to educating all homeowners on the proper care, maintenance, use and function of their home’s garage doors and functioning mechanisms. And, as your expert on garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA, Action Door Service wants to pass these teachings onto all of our customers. Take a look at some of the most important things to remember about your garage door:
- Remember that children should never operate a garage door under any circumstances. Keep garage door buttons out of the reach of children (at least five feet off the ground) and educate your children on the dangers of playing with a garage door.
- Educate yourself on the emergency release facet of your garage door. Only use the emergency release when absolutely necessary, such as during a power outage or if you need immediate access to your garage.
- Always have repairs and maintenance addressed by a professional—primarily the service responsible for installing your door. Never attempt repairs on your own—you run the risk of injury or causing further harm to your garage door and its peripheral components.
- Keep materials in your garage away from the vicinity of the door. Newer door models will have infrared sensors near the base of the door, preventing the door from closing if materials are detected, however older models may not have this technology.
These few helpful tips will keep you, your family and your home safe from unforeseen damages that would be the result of an improperly maintained, used or repaired garage door. Remember, garage doors in Rancho Cordova, CA are mechanical implementations, meaning they have many moving parts and pieces that can pose danger to those who may be uninformed about their function.
As part of National Garage Door Opener Safety Month, it’s also advised that you have your garage door inspected and maintained, along with your garage door opener and any other systems that may have a direct impact on the functionality of your door. Here’s a quick checklist:
- Replace all remote control batteries for your garage door, to ensure full power and a mitigated risk of opening failure.
- Have your garage door inspected for quality and any moving parts lubricated.
- Have both mechanical and electrical systems of your garage door inspected by a trained professional and repaired if necessary.
If you’re seeking trusted and professional garage door services, provided by a reputable company, make your next call for service one to Action Door Service. We’ll help bring peace of mind to your home during National Garage Door Opener Safety Month!